Failure handling of Carbon Copies

2001-08-02 09:47:57
Hello,

I am presently running procmail-3.21 and have it employed as my
mail delivery agent on Solaris 8.  Consider the following two
versions of a nesting block which is a single conditional block
of a series of other blocks.

Case 1.

:0 E
* ^Subject:.*mygroup
 {
      :0 c:
       $FOLDERS/mymailgroup

      :0:
      *^Subject.*ANNOUNCE
      /var/mail/mymailbox
 }

Case 2.

:0 E
 {
      :0 c:
      *^Subject.*ANNOUNCE
      /var/mail/mymailbox

      :0:
       $FOLDERS/mymailgroup
 }

What I want to do is put all mail related to mygroup, including
announcements in a special folder and have only the
announcements sent to my regular inbox.

The first case puts a copy of *everything* related to mygroup in my
default mailbox (which is also /var/mail/mymailbox).  The second case does
not (i.e. it behaves the way I would like).  Assuming my observations are
correct I believe this is because of the way a carbon-copy is handled in
case of failures on subsequent conditions.  Can anyone confirm or
elaborate on this? I didn't notice anything in the FAQ's on this specific
situation.  I have been using procmail for years but never noticed this
behavior before.

Thanks,
Jim