Re: Changing From: headers

2001-08-03 11:55:54

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Andrew Edelstein wrote:

I'd like to set up a filter that will detect messages "From:" certain known
addresses then use formail to replace those headers. Specifically, I receive
mail from several individuals via their cell phones and two-way pagers. I'd
like to replace the address of their two-way device in the From: line with
their regular email address.
Instead of having a seperate recipe for each person, I'd like to store the
device addresses and "real" address in an external file that procmail will
reference. Something like

XXXXXXXXXX(_at_)mobile(_dot_)att(_dot_)net    address(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld

I'd prefer to do this in sh rather than perl. I'm sure I've seen very similar
things here before.

--
Andrew Edelstein      -       andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com
http://andrew.pure-chaos.com

Andrew,

Here is a recipe I came up with and did some minimal testing.  I
am not an expert on procmail but I have done similar things
before.  I wasn't sure what you wanted to do once you changed
addresses so I just stored it in your inbox.

:0
*
From:.*\/(user1(_at_)mobile(_dot_)att(_dot_)net|user2(_at_)mobile(_dot_)att(_dot_)net)
{
  OLDADDR=$MATCH
  TOADDR=`grep "$OLDADDR" addressmap | awk -c '{print $2}'`

  :0 wf:foobar
  | formail -I "From: $TOADDR"

  :0:
  /var/mail/yourmailbox
}

Where the addressmap is your file name and the $MATCH contains the
mobile address.  The above recipe may need to be tweaked for safeguards
but I believe it conveys a potential solution.  It still requires external
programs (grep and awk).

Note:  There may be a way to just get the column 1 (mobile addresses) and
build a regex for the From condition line.

Jim