Re: Automatic Copy of Outgoing Mail

2001-08-03 13:38:44
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Don Hammond wrote:

If this needs implementing system wide with many users, then the
solution above wouldn't be workable.

The mention by VMIC a month ago indicated extensive hacks, but
working code did NOT cross this list within the last year.  It
had some privacy/security aspects according to the poster -- I
wrote offlist, but had not received a reply.

From what I recall on the
subject, with reference to sendmail, it's not trivial. (Although I
haven't looked at any sendmail releases in about 6 months.) I looked
into it at one point and found some references in web searches to a
sendmail .mc file that implemented system wide copies. IIRC it was
something done by Harker Systems, but I wasn't able to find it on their
site.

The Harker solution has indeed been lost is a reshuffle of
their site -- my bookmark is no longer valid.

I also seem to recall it being offered more conceptually than as
something necessarily ready for production systems.

It had such disclaimer in the Harker article -- the sendmail
version was back around 8.8, and it was a manual sendmail.cw
tweak, rather than a M4 macro

-- Russ Herrold