remove duplicates on OLD mailboxes

2001-08-09 01:38:01
Hello,

I am posting this here because I understand that formail is
part of the procmail package. Should this not be the case,
please accept my apologies, and direct me to the right resources.

I have seen several examples of calling formail from procmail,
to remove duplicate messages and do many other things.

I haven't succeeded, however, in getting formail to remove all
duplicated
messages offline, i.e. from old, existing mailboxes. Specifically,
how do you tell formail to:

        take a BIG mailbox ( >25 MB)
        remove all duplicates
        put all messages sent during year YYYY into another new mailbox
        all this while:
                being tolerant because some messages are screwed
                (converted/copied from old MS mailboxes)
                formatting output properly to patch the problem above?

I *did* read the formail man page, the procmail archives, and also some
examples on italian mailing lists.
However, if I run the man page example on my home box
(Linux RH 6.2, 128 MB RAM, AMD K6 350 MHz), formail just stays there
doing nothing (as in "ram/cpu usage ~=zero) until I quit it.

Any help (including non formail approaches to this problem) is greatly
appreciated.

                TIA,
                        Marco Fioretti