Re: remove duplicates on OLD mailboxes

how do you tell formail to:

     take a BIG mailbox ( >25 MB)
     remove all duplicates
     put all messages sent during year YYYY into another new mailbox
     all this while:
             being tolerant because some messages are screwed
             (converted/copied from old MS mailboxes)
             formatting output properly to patch the problem above?

You don't - formail doesn't do what you want.  What you *do* is use
formail to slice an existing mailbox into pieces and then pass each
message in the mailbox to *procmail* to do the duplicate suppression
(using formail to maintain a cache of Message-IDs) and filtering on
date.  You'll use a command something like

formail -Y -s procmail -m pmrc

where pmrc is a procmail recipe file like .procmailrc that does the
various things you want.

I had always seen procmail using formail, not the other way around.
Also, I was confused by what I found on this URL:

        http://www.linuxfaq.it/revisione/ldr5.html#index1616

which doesn't mention anything like you say.

At this point, I assume that, running straight on the command line

        formail -Y -s procmail -m pmrc

the polished mailbox  would be that defined in pmrc, right?

Last but not least, may I ask you to point me to recipes that

remove duplicates, *and* print out only messages in given year (where
year might be in 4 or 2 digits)?

        Thank you in advance!!

                        Ciao,

                                        Marco Fioretti