Re: Procmail installation problems

2001-08-29 01:04:55
"Bob Eldred" <reldred(_at_)viablelinks(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm running OpenBSD 2.9, and am trying to get Procmail working in a Maildir
setup so that I can install Courier-IMAP.  I've followed various of the
tutorials I've found on the web, but am running into a problem.  Mail
doesn't get delivered, and I'm getting error messages stating that Procmail
can't write to the log.  The log directory is world-writeable at this point,
so I'm a little bit confused by the whole situation.

Hmm, it looks like the OpenBSD ports collection is still using procmail
version 3.21.  Unfortunately, version 3.21 has some bugs involving
its maildir handling.  While 3.22 is expected Real Soon Now, for now I
recommend version 3.15.2 for maildir users. **

When posting to the procmail list (or almost any support mailing list),
you can maximize your chances of getting a relevant response by including
the answer to the following questions in your post:

*What* are you trying to do?  (e.g., "deliver message to $HOME/Mail/INBOX,
treating it as a maildir folder")

*How* are you trying to do it? (e.g., "here's my /etc/procmailrc file...")

What *symptoms* make you believe it isn't working? (e.g., "I get the
following erros in my logs", or "the Subject: header fields sometimes
disappear")

If you're not sure where the error is occuring, have you tried putting
VERBOSE=on at the top of the relevant rcfile and pondered the details
shown in the resulting log?

What did the log show, anyway?  If you have the VERBOSE=on version,
show it.

Any ideas?  Or anyone have a pointer to a nice, easy walk-through for the
kind of setup I'm looking for?  One that works for relative newbies to the
whole Unix world?

I don't know of any tutorials for such a setup.  Have you tried searching
the list archive at
        http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/

Searching for "Courier" would be a good start...

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer

** You can download version 3.22pre from
        ftp://ftp.procmail.org/pub/procmail/testing/snapshot.tar.gz
I _think_ the snapshot is ready for primetime, but we can always use
more beta testers...