Postprocessing Mailboxes

2001-08-31 05:23:27
Is there a way to get postprocess several mailboxes (with different owners) to delete any messages that are more than 30 days old, leaving the recent messages intact?

A search of the list archives led me to the example in the procmail man page of a bash script that works for a single user account. I've written a Perl script that writes an /etc/procmailrc file containing the following recipe:

VERBOSE=yes
#MAILDIR=$HOME/Msgs
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

:0
/dev/null

The Perl script also generates a slightly modified version of the example from the man pages, that will loop over all the mailboxes in /var/spool/mail/.

The trouble is that all mail always gets forwarded to the root account (the account from which the scripts are run).

I've considered using the procmail recipe to forward mail to the appropriate account, by having the Perl script write a different one according to the mailbox that is being processed, but surely this will change the Received date.

Do I have any option other than to do this and delete mail based on its Date field instead?

--
My brain hurts!
SeanC

University of Zululand