filtering recipe and local mailbox

2001-09-24 03:29:57

hello...

i just started using procmail a couple of days ago (on a FreeBSD 4.4-s)
and am having trouble with my filtering rules with a few mailing lists
that i subscribed to. fyi, i was using the 'quick step guide' as an
example and have gone through quite a few of the documents as well but
still am finding dificulties filtering my incoming mail.

the header for the freebsd lists seems to be inconsistent between MUAs
(i.e. the bat/pegasus and mutt) between OS'es but it always has a
owner-freebsd-* somewhere. but even if i put "* ^Sender:.*... ", that
would still not get the mail filtered properly.

here's my ~/.procmailrc and ~/Procmail/lists.rc file if someone could
help me spot anything that i have done wrong.

~/.procmailrc
VERBOSE=yes
# LOGABSTRACT=all
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lists.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/tests.rc
SHELL=/bin/sh

~/Procmail/lists.rc
:0 Whc: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
                :0 a:
                IN-dupes

:0:
* ^From:(_dot_)mutt-users(_at_)mutt\(_dot_)org
mutt-users

:0:
* ^TO_cvs-all
* ^From:.owner-cvs-all
* ^Sender:.*cvs-all
freebsd/cvs-all

:0:
* ^TO_freebsd-questions
* ^From:.owner-freebsd-questions
* ^Sender:.*questions
freebsd/questions

so what do i put that will get the mails to be filtered properly?

secondly, is there a way to refilter the mails that are already in my
mailbox (i.e. /var/mail/$USER )? i have tried (from a document i read
from the net)

             cat /var/mail/$USER | formail -s procmail

but instead of refiltering, i've gotten multiple duplcates instead. so,
how __can__ i refilter my mailbox?

tia.

~as

--
Alvin alsim3(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com

" You're not from around here, are you? "