Re: MATCH operator and subject adjustment

2001-11-13 09:31:44
Paul asked,

| Does SHELLMETAS on a line by itself set the variable to null, or
| should I play it safe and use 'SHELLMETAS=""' ?

Stating the name of a variable by itself unsets it.  An equal sign after it
with nothing (or an empty pair of weak or strong quotes) after the equal
sign sets it to null.  For LOCKFILE and SHELLMETAS, unsetting it and making
it null have the same effect (though having it unset might be more efficient
than having it null), but for some other variables there can be a
difference.

So if
 SHELLMETAS=""
makes you feel better than
 SHELLMETAS=
or
 SHELLMETAS
does, Paul, go ahead; the results will be the same.