Re: Orbs type filtering at a system level

2001-11-20 13:41:11
Paul Chvostek wrote:
Your ISP will have to remove the MTA-based ORBZ blocking in order for
any mail to hit your procmail recipes.
        I'm not sure how my ISP is doing the filtering.  I have
a question in to them.
Note that having procmail do dnsbl processing will cause a MUCH heavier
load on your ISP's mail server than having the filters in the MTA, and
your ISP may not like that.
        I'm not particularly fond of the idea that they are
bit-bucketing my email.  I paid extra to get a Procmail friendly
ISP, so I could do my OWN filtering.
Check out http://www.waltdnes.org for some good recipes for reversing a
dotted quad.  With those recipes, if you just want to toss the mail, you
could probably do something like:
        Dotted quad?  Please explain the term.
        BTW, I don't want to just shitcan the the stuff.  I want
it to go into a spam folder where I check it periodically.
        I'm trying to give my ISP a way for people to opt out of
this, I thought that doing a test for a "myob" file before applying
a procmail filter, and making that part of the system .procmailrc
file would be a good way of doing this.
        This is not a question on how to do my own Orbs checking,
I use Spambouncer for that.

--
Matthew G. Saroff
msaroff(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com

p.s.  What happened to the original Orbs?