Orbs type filtering at a system level

2001-11-20 10:45:54
Hi,
        My ISP has instituted an ORBS-type (actually ORBZ)
filtering system, which dumps everything that comes from
bad IPs.  They have Procmail installed as an MDA.
        As I deal with thousands of potential email contacts,
this means that I could miss emails are legitimately intended
for me (I typically see about a 3% false positive rate).
        Is there a way at the system level to allow individual
users to opt out?
        I am assuming that one could test for the presense of a
file that a user could put in his home directory before dumping
this stuff to /dev/null, but I would not know how to implement
this on a system wide .procmailrc file?
        What would be the technique?  I'm assuming that it would
be something like this:

:0h:
! ? test -r $HOME/.deleteorbs
[a script using nslookup or a regularly updated list of IP numbers]
--
Matthew G. Saroff
msaroff(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com