Best way of blocking virii

2001-11-28 04:38:49
I'm just looking for the best way of blocking viruses from coming into my
mail system using procmail. I want to basically drop messages that contain
known widely spread virii like Sircam and snowwhite, and bounce a message to
the sender with information about the virus, and how to fix it.

I also want to block all incoming attachments that are executable, such as
.vbs and .exe. With this I'd like it to bounce a message to the sender saying
that we don't accept executable attachments, and also send a message to the
intended recipient listing the sender, the subject of the message, and the
name of the file(s). Is this a good idea do you guys think?

My main question is how to do this. I've looked at a lot of tutorials, but
still can't figure it out. Could someone please help me? And is there a place
where I can automatically download signatures(more like little procmail
scripts) to get rid of known wild viruses? This would be even better, because
you could have a cron job to download the latest bunch of virii detectors,
and use them. If a detector hadn't hit for 6 months it could automatically be
dropped to save CPU. Thanks,

David