Re: Badtrans signature for local-rules

2001-11-28 08:11:08
Folks;

   I've been following the BadTrans recipe thread closely, since like the
rest of us my server's getting hit pretty hard by the newest version of the
d*mned thing. But there's a tangendental issue brought up by a recent post
apparently from someone who's new and didn't check the archives.

   Does it make sense, with any of these viral traps, to send a note to the
sender telling them they are infected?  I mean, if it might help, I'd be more
than happy to spend a little bandwidth to send a note back, but _does_ it
really do any good? Does the poor schlub really go for days not knowing s/he
has the thing (I've never had one, since I don't allow the Win boxes here to
connect to the Net)? And what happens in the event of a false positive
(although it wasn't a viri filter, I once had a filter misfire everytime
there was a pipe in the subject, so even with the best-laid plans...)?

         Charlie