Re: Badtrans signature for local-rules

2001-11-28 12:02:42
At 09:59 2001-11-28 -0500, Charlie Summers wrote:

Does it make sense, with any of these viral traps, to send a note to the
sender telling them they are infected?  I mean, if it might help, I'd be more
than happy to spend a little bandwidth to send a note back, but _does_ it
really do any good? Does the poor schlub really go for days not knowing s/he

In the current incarnation of this worm, the _envelope_ address appears to be valid, but the From: address is not (it is, at least currently, the sender address with a prefixing underscore - which of course could be used as another check for the virus I guess). Who knows if the virus will be changed in the near future to forge the envelope sender - but at least currently, yes, you could send an automated reply.

That said, currently, I choose to send out notifications manually - I've received only a handful of these so far. Yes, there are some twits out there which don't get around to dealing with it (it's always a joy to receive a copy of the virus in response to a notification to the twit).

As for whether it works -- well, if the person who is infected is never notified of this by SOMEONE, they're probably not going to fix it any time soon.

I have an automated notification mechanism called "vermicelli" which I wrote for my webservers, which addresses CodeRed and Nimda worms (not the emailed variety, but rather the ones hammering on the webserver). This manages cacheing events (so it doesn't send a flood of notifications) and looks up all the responsible parties for the attacking host and emails them a notice of the event containing the calibrated time, source IP, PTR record if found, links to further information about the worm in question, and a request that the problem be dealt with.

While large ISPs could give a rats' about it (personal note: IMO, 9netave is a really shoddy outfit - AND they're a spamhost to boot), the smaller outfits seem to respond favourably - taking the machine offline and applying the recommended patches, etc.

Without some notification, these people would continue to operate zombie servers.