Re: procmail initialization

2001-11-28 12:02:37
At 20:25 2001-11-27 +0200, Angelo wrote:

There is a situation came up which needs a mail account to be created to which only a part of people to be able to "see" it and send mails to it...

You could use procmail on the local account and reject messages

Specifficly there are the users of the inside network(local network -lan) and the users of the outside network (all the other users of the internet). I want to setup a mail account that only users of the inside network use it and can send to it.Users of the outside network cannot send to it or generaly use it.

The mail server is set to use sendmail.I've heard that this is possible through procmail.... is this true?And how could i "tell" sendmail.cf to "read" the rule i set to procmail.cf for this speciffic mailbox??

Sendmail doesn't read the procmail rules -- it passes the message to procmail for LOCAL DELIVERY. Either via Mlocal, or via a .forward file you need to create (if procmail isn't configured as the LDA).

You could just set up the local account and create a .procmailrc for it which rejects messages which are not FROM the local domain. This isn't based on origin IP, but perhaps your local users are expected to mail from the local domain?

:0
* ! ^From:.*@(somehost\.|)ourdomain\.tld
{
        EXITCODE=67     # EX_NOUSER, see /usr/include/sysexits.h
        HOST=lutefisk.ourdomain.tld.            # illegal hostname, should
                                                # stop processing immediatley.
}

Anything NOT caught by this rule would continue to be delivered to the default mailbox on that account.

There are some config hacks you can do in sendmail to invoke external processes to evaluate things, but if you're not already familiar with sendmail, now's not the time to start mucking with the cf file trying to accomplish this (nor is the procmail list really the place to discuss sendmail configuration). There is quite a bit of vodoo going on in the sendmail.cf file.

I mean what scripting i could do in sendmail.cf file in order to "communicate" with procmail.cf file and understand that users that only come from an ip like "10.0.0..." can send a msg to this mail account otherwise users that come from the outside network and have an ip like 210.155.12.... get an error msg (like "user not found")

You could write some sendmail rules similar to the access database which would permit only a certain class of users to send mail through to an address. Not the scope of this list however. See <http://www.sendmail.org> and <news://comp.mail.sendmail>

If you want to do IP stuff from within procmail, check out the list archives for rules pertaining to "RBL"s (Realtime BlackLists). You could modify such a rulset to compare against a local IP to permit the message to be delivered.

I would really appreciate recieving a solution from you...(my mail: <mailto:shuttle(_at_)fdsweb(_dot_)com>shuttle(_at_)fdsweb(_dot_)com)
thank you in advance!

I take it you provided your email address WITHIN the message (even though your address conveniently appears in the From: line of your message) because you want an offlist copy sent to you? If so, you should explicitly request that. I'm cc'ing you on this list followup because I've interpreted the above as such a request. Please though, do not follow up to me offlist.