why is >> making files size=0 ?

2001-12-03 06:56:42

I have this recipe, which is designed to notice when someone sends me email
for the first time, put the mail in a special mailbox, and then add their
email address to a list, so that if they send me mail again, it won't be the
"first time"

Here is the recipe

ALLSENDERS=$PROCDIR/senders.txt
REPLYTO=`formail -rtzxTo:`

:0
* $ ! ? fgrep -i "$REPLYTO" "$ALLSENDERS"
{
        :0c:
        05-First-Timers

        :0hia: .allsenders.lock
        |/bin/echo "$REPLYTO" >> "$ALLSENDERS"
}

This recipe, and another I had just like it, keep on overwriting the file,
so that I end up with a file size=0 and start from scratch.

Shouldn't the >> prevent that from happening?!?!?

Am I doing something incorrectly here?

Thanks

TjL