Re: Breaking news alerts (procmail and sed)

2001-12-05 23:24:12

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

Has anyone been working on any strategies for removing the freemail
and other ad banners from html emails?

You know, it'd be nifty if people READ the references provided in the email
they're replying to.

Err, sorry about that, I did glance through the two links but didn't see
what I was looking for. For example, the following is great and I may
deploy it at some point as you don't need to modify it if the footer
changes some:

 :0bBfw
 * ^^(.+$)*.*(click\.egroups\.com|eGroups Sponsor)
 | sed 1,/^$/d

but I want to snip the things like the following as I already
trim plain text emails:

<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <a

I would want to preserve the </p></html> at the end, so I guess I
would have to modify the above script to edit through the line(s)
testing for a string of sacred tags I defined.

Thanks,

--Paul T.