Re: [Solved] variable=| not assigned to STDOUT

2001-12-12 14:06:10
Mark Bynum followed up,

| I'll reply to David's answer since this is what helped me.

You're welcome, but as Martin and Sean also gave you the same advice to drop
the W, I won't hog credit.

| This is what confused me, the "wait for the program to finish." I thought
| that this was always needed in a pipe. Can we change the man page?

Agreed.  Philip?

I'd asked,

Do you really need to test on the output, then, or is testing on the exit
code enough?  If the exit code is non-zero for mail that belongs in the
spamtest folder and zero for mail that doesn't,

Mark answered,

| Yes, I need the output to stick in an X-Spam header which will be filtered
| away further down.

Nothing is going to happen further along; you have procmail doing final
delivery to $MAILDIR/spamtest if $SCR is non-empty (or at least, has any
character in it that isn't a newline).  But perhaps that save to spamtest
was only for testing, while in production procmail won't stop there if the
perl script comes back with a non-zero exit.

OK; still, I think that the recipe that does that would work more
efficiently this way:

 :0e:
 spamtest

than by asking procmail to scan the variable.

| I changed it from $HOME to /u/bynum to try and eliminate anything else
| that may cause a problem. I didn't want SHELLMETAs getting in the way.
| I'll change it back though.

$ is not in $SHELLMETAS; it wouldn't have been a problem.