Re: Missing action:

2001-12-12 14:12:47
Sherzod has this,

|    : c
|    /var/spool/mail/sherzodr

and wondered,

| What "Missing action"?

History lesson time.

Before the days of preceding every condition with an asterisk, procmail
required a number on every flag line where we now put the zero.  That was
the number of conditions the recipe had.  The 1st through N+1st lines of the
recipe (no intervening blank lines or fully commented lines in those days)
were the conditions, and the N+2nd line was the action.  If you had no
number there, the default was one unless the flag line also had an `A' or
`a' flag, in which case the default was zero.

Then Stephen introduced the asterisk notation: a line starting with an
asterisk means "this isn't the action line yet; it's another condition that
wasn't included in the count."  That way we could *always* use a 0, whether
the recipe had conditions or not, and we wouldn't have to be concerned about
updating the number every time we added or removed a condition.  The old
notation still works (extended to default to zero if there is an `e' or an
`E' flag), but it's in disuse now.

So by not specifying a number on the flag line, you told procmail that that
recipe would have exactly one condition.  So it took the next line as a
condition (to search the head for the string "/var/spool/mail/sherzodr,"
which I'm sure it didn't find) and then looked for an action line so that it
could then move on to the next recipe.  But it found a blank line and then a
line starting with a colon for the next recipe and reported that it was
going to take that as the start of another recipe and warned you that you
had a recipe with no action.

So the fix?  As Andrew said, add the zero, and while you're at it, do what
Sean recommended and add a second colon to get a local lockfile.