Re: .procmailrc + .maildelivery

2001-12-17 13:38:44
At 15:14 2001-12-17 -0500, peter(_at_)compclass(_dot_)com wrote:
Let me try to be more specific. Before I put procmail in place as a
filter/delivery agent, I was using a standard local delivery agent,
slocal, from SCO.

You didn't say you were using procmail as the LDA, and until you show what the Mlocal definition is in your sendmail config, we're going to assume that your indication of invoking procmail from the .forward stands as how you're doing it, which means procmail IS NOT the LDA (if it were, the mere presence of a .procmailrc would cause the procmail rules to be run - no .forward needed).

they built their sendmail to allow users to continue using the ".maildelivery" file as a personal filtering system.

Meaning likely that the Mlocal definition isn't a standard local mailer program (or procmail), and instead is something that runs these other scripts. I'm wholly unfamiliar with ".maildelivery" constructs.

procmail is far better as I'm finding,

.. and you'll be far better off centralizing your mail filtering to one set of rules, not spreading them across two separate filtering agents...

but there are some issues I can't seem to resolve.

Perhaps THOSE should be what you raise in this forum.

The reference to .forward'ing simply meaning that this is how I get the incoming message to procmail.

.. and means procmail isn't the LDA.

Before I did this, .maildelivery handled depositing mail list messages into appropriate folders.

Perhaps if you're bent on continuing to use this .maildelivery tool, it can invoke procmail?

I'd like to avoid having to write a new recipe entry for every list I subscribe to and thus would rather have the existing .maildelivery file continue to handle it, if possible.

Without knowing how the ".maildelivery" thing is normally invoked, we can't help you. Chances are, the LDA configured into procmail sees the .forward and immediatley goes "oh, nevermind"

Rewriting all those rules probably wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes if you have a clue what you're filtering on. A common list filter (say, for the procmail list here) might appear like so:

:0:
* ^Sender: procmail-admin(_at_)lists\(_dot_)rwth-aachen\(_dot_)de
procmail

Thanks for the other info here. I can use that right away.

[snip - however, there is absolutely no need to send back the entire previous message verbatim, so please avoid the habit]