Re: Configuration question: Procmail not responding

2001-12-19 13:07:00
Much thanks to Sean for responding to my first query.

Sean, I appreciate your response, I know that what I'm asking leans to the sendmail side, but it seems intertwined with procmail.

Let me go back a few steps:

I have tried for some time to trigger Procmail from /etc/procmailrcs/virthost1, to no avail.
I have this entry in /etc/mail/mailertable:
virthost1       procmail:/etc/procmailrcs/virthost1

And I have the following recipe (for spamassassin) in /etc/procmailrcs/virthost1

SHELL=/bin/sh
LOGFILE=/tmp/testprocmail.log
VERBOSE=ON
SPOOLDIR=/var/spool/mail
SENDER=$1
RECIPIENT=$2

:0fw
      #| spamassassin
      | spamassassin -P
      #| spamc

      :0e
      {
         EXITCODE=$?
      }

      :0:        ! ost2

However Procmail is never processing any mail (sent to *(_at_)virthost1) through the /etc/procmailrcs/virthost1. Nothing is written to the VERBOSE procmail log.

It seems to me that Virtusertable is simply redirecting the mail to the /var/spool/mail directory, and overriding any chance for procmail/mailertable to process the mail.

Here are more details:
After many hours, I decided to investigate sendmail.cf. I found portions of ruleset Parse1 (the bottom half of ruleset 0) with comments referencing virtuser and mailer table

Believing that virtuser was overriding mailertable, I moved the mailertable portions of sendmail.cf ABOVE the virtuser portions.

After hupping sendmail, I found that Procmail will now process mail through mailertable /etc/procmailrcs/virthost1, AND it writes to the VERBOSE log (sample below).

But, now the mail is not sent on to Virtusertable.

If I remove the last line of the Procmail recipe:
!ost2
(which forwards all mail sent to virthost1 to a local account), what I would like to have happen is for virtusertable to process the To: portion of the header and put the mail in the correct mailbox in /var/spool/mail according to the mappings in /etc/mail/virtusertable ... instead, when I remove the !ost2, I get:

procmail: [19872] Tue Dec 18 19:40:35 2001
procmail: Assigning "SPOOLDIR=/var/spool/mail"
procmail: Assigning "SENDER=root"
procmail: Assigning "RECIPIENT=eddy(_at_)virthost1"
procmail: Executing "spamassassin,-P"
procmail: [19872] Tue Dec 18 19:40:52 2001
procmail: Incomplete recipe
 Subject: *****SPAM***** Earn More from Home!!
  Folder: **Bounced**

I want to use spamassassin, but I want to allow individual domains to switch it on or off, whatever their preference. I'm already handling all mail through virtusertable, and would rather not try to transfer all of the information in virtusertable over to individual /etc/procmailrcs/virthost files.

Can this be done?

Thanks for your time and help,

Os Tyler