Re: Configuration question: Procmail not responding

2001-12-19 18:29:56
Os Tyler <os(_at_)nothingspecial(_dot_)com> writes:
Here are more details:
After many hours, I decided to investigate sendmail.cf. I found
portions of ruleset Parse1 (the bottom half of ruleset 0) with comments
referencing virtuser and mailer table

Believing that virtuser was overriding mailertable, I moved the
mailertable portions of sendmail.cf ABOVE the virtuser portions.

If the solution involves editing the raw sendmail.cf, you're asking
the wrong question.  You should *NEVER* edit the sendmail.cf file, but
instead change the files from which it is generated.  You then need to
step back and consider whether the current ordering is the way it is
for good reasons, such that changing it will cause problems later (or
sooner) on.  If you change it, you will invalidate some of the fundamental
assumptions of people who would otherwise be able to help you.  You also
face the prospect of maintaining your own version of sendmail.cf for as
long as you use your changes.  Believe me, you don't want to get into
that position; I did that for several years when I was a sysadmin and
it was not an experience I would willingly repeat.

I suggest that you back up and describe what end effects you want in
your virtual domain setup.  Offhand, it sounds like you need to use
VIRTUSER_DOMAIN(virthost1) and make sure virthost1 is _not_ in class
'w' so that both the virtusertable and mailertable will be applied and
in that order, but without some clear and HIGH-LEVEL statement from you
about your end goals, it's hard to say.

You'll also get a better answer if you ask on one of the sendmail
newsgroups, as this is a sendmail config issue and not a procmail issue.

Philip Guenther