Re: what does 1^0 mean ?

2001-12-20 21:10:03
When Don wrote code that included the "$" modifier and noted,

| > Just don't forget the '$' at the beginning of each condition to get the
| > variable expanded.

cat(_at_)zip(_dot_)com(_dot_)au asked,

| Doesn't this mean that a shell process will be spawned for each entry in
| the rule to do the expansion?

I'm very sure that in expanding conditions that have the "$" modifier,

1. procmail does the variable substitution on its own;
2. procmail does any backticked command substitution where the command
   string has no characters from $SHELLMETAS; and
3. procmail spawns a shell only for command substitution where the command
   includes characters from $SHELLMETAS.

So if my beliefs about it are right, the answer is no, it doesn't.