Re: Maildir Format

2001-12-22 19:23:40
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 04:26:23PM -0500, Tuc wrote:
Hi,

      Having a little confusion about Maildir format.  We are looking
to switch to Maildir format from our /var/mail/XXXX format.  It was my
understanding that Maildir used the users home directory, but then
broke each message out.

      It doesn't appear to be doing this, it just saves it
as "$HOME/Maildir" (For QMAIL).  Isn't it supposed to save to like
$HOME/tmp, $HOME/cur, $HOME/new ?

      I'm also then having a hard time understanding how to tell
procmail to do the Maildir emulation on a Sendmail based system
(We need to switch to a Maildir compliant IMAP program).

There are three ways to indicate to procmail that a message should be
delivered in some form of file-per-message format. What you're talking about
is maildir format. To specify maildir format, you need to add a trailing / to
the end of your destination, e.g: /home/user/mail/folder/ instead of
/home/user/mail/folder. This will cause new mail to be delivered to
/home/user/mail/folder/new/$MSGPREFIX* (technically it's delivered to
../tmp/$MSGPREFIX, then moved to ../new)
If the destination does not end in either / or /., procmail determines
delivery method based on whether the path is a file or a directory. If it is a
file (or the final component does not exist, in which case a file by that name
is created and), the message is appeneded to the end of the file in mbox
format. If it is a directory, the message is written to a uniquely named file
in that directory.
FYI, all of this can be found in man procmailrc. Do not confuse the term
"maildir" with the variable $MAILDIR, which has a completely different
meaning.

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com

"If you're not pissed off at the world then you're just not paying attention."
                                Kasey Chambers "Ignorance"

"If you're not frightened by this, you're simply not paying attention."
                                Harry Browne