Re: Maildir Format

2001-12-20 00:03:25

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 04:26:23PM -0500, Tuc wrote:

Hi,

Salutations.

      Having a little confusion about Maildir format.  We are looking
to switch to Maildir format from our /var/mail/XXXX format.  It was my
understanding that Maildir used the users home directory, but then
broke each message out.

Not exactly.  Maildir is merely a *format*, as are mbox (which you're
currently using) and MH format (which you're not).  (Note that MH is
a user agent which stores messages in "MH format". ;> )

If you want Procmail to store messages in MH format, you have to tell
it where to put them.  The only real rule is that your mail delivery
configuration must match your mail client configuration.  Thus, if in
your /etc/procmailrc you have:

        DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

then you'll want POP3 and IMAP servers to know to look there as well.
But you could as easily have:

        DEFAULT=/var/spool/maildir/$LOGNAME/

instead, if you wanted to store stuff there.

      It doesn't appear to be doing this, it just saves it
as "$HOME/Maildir" (For QMAIL).  Isn't it supposed to save to like
$HOME/tmp, $HOME/cur, $HOME/new ?

There's pretty good explanations of this in the FAQ.

      I'm also then having a hard time understanding how to tell
procmail to do the Maildir emulation on a Sendmail based system
(We need to switch to a Maildir compliant IMAP program).

It's not emulation.  It's a mailbox format.

Detailed explanations of the transition process live at Infinite Ink's
procmail resources, including their "See Also" collection of links.  If
you still have problems after that, bring 'em to the list.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>