Re: this recipe generating a one-byte email message...

2001-12-30 14:05:27
At 14:30 2001-12-30 -0500, David Vrona wrote:

:0
* $ ${HEADERS}test123
{
    TAG = "test message match"
}

:0cE
* $ ${HEADERS}ALERT from SonicWALL
{
    TAG = "FORMAT SONICWALL USERID 12345678 TZ +00:00"
}

WHY are you using the 'c' flag? There is no delivery occurring here - note that the action is pretty much identical to the preceeding recipe, which didn't require a copy flag. Are you wanting a copy of the firewall notification, and if so, why not for the test message as well?

:0 fw
*   ^Subject: *\/[^ ].*
| $FORMAIL -I "Subject: $TAG" | $SENDMAIL sonicwall(_at_)dshield(_dot_)org

Then, in addition to the COPY you do above this, THIS rule is a FILTER (f), which means that the action of delivering it to sendmail will occur, but the OUTPUT of sendmail (on stdout) will be passed along as the message to following rules.

Lose the 'f' here.