Re: Procmail Spam Filtering

2002-01-02 02:12:33
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software
Engineering) writes:
At 18:13 2001-12-31 +0800, Jason Jordan wrote:
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail

I strongly suspect that the above assignment is there for the wrong
reason.  Why do you want procmail to chdir to the mailspool?

LOGABSTRACT=
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log

I tend to set the logfile BEFORE defining verbosity, logabstract, etc.

Also note that /var/log isn't (or shouldn't!) be writable by normal users,
so that assignment probably only makes sense in the /etc/procmailrc file.

SENDMAIL = "sendmail -oi -t"

This assignment is *WRONG* and will completely break '!' actions.
Remove it.

(I have yet to see an assignment to SENDMAIL in an rcfile that was both
correct and necessary.  Why do people insist on breaking things?)

FORMAIL = "/usr/bin/formail"

Quotes are wildly unnecessary.

Only the FORMAIL assignment had unnecessary quotes and even then they
could be written of on symmetry grounds.  On the otherhand, the FORMAIL
variable itself seems fairly pointless.  Why not let the shell find the
formail binary via PATH?

LOG="--- Logging ${LOGFILE} for {$LOGNAME},"
XLOOP = "X-Loop: $LOGNAME(_at_)$HOST"

Again, lose the quotes (except on the Log line, where they're useful)

Uh, they're useful on both; that's a space in the XLOOP value.

On the otherhand, that LOG assignment looks odd.  First of all, it
doesn't include a newline, so the next thing logged will be tacked on
the end.  Next, why would you include the name of the logfile in
the logfile itself?  Finally, do you really mean to put braces around
the user's login or was that supposed to be ${LOGNAME}?

Philip Guenther