Re: Check simple .procmailrc?

2002-01-09 07:06:35
Yep, I'm not so hot on permissions so I made them all 777 for the
purpose of testing.

Procmail: Suspicious rcfile "/home/nick/.procmailrc"
Procmail: Could'nt read "/home/nic/.procmailrc"

Somethings definately a bit fishy there.

Yes

I'll give it ago if no one spots something obvious after this post.

This is one of the things that Sean's script would have spotted for you,
I believe.  Presumably the permissions on /home/nick/.procmailrc and/or
/home/nick are also 777.  Procmail recognises that as a security problem
and refuses to use an unsafe .procmailrc.  If you take a look at 'man
procmail' you'll find:

       Suspicious rcfile "x"  The owner of the rcfile was not the
                              recipient or  root,  the  file  was
                              world  writable,  or  the directory
                              that   contained   it   was   world
                              writable,  or  this was the default
                              rcfile ($HOME/.procmailrc) and  ei-
                              ther  it  was group writable or the
                              directory  that  contained  it  was
                              group  writable (the rcfile was not
                              used).

Set the permissions on .procmailrc to, say, 640 and on /home/nick to,
say, 755 and try again.

Hope that helps,
Martin
--
Martin McCarthy                 /</                  PGP key available
    `Procmail Companion'        \>\  http://www.ancient-scotland.co.uk