Re: From_ aaa(_at_)aaa ... 1997

2002-01-09 14:50:40
At 12:44 2002-01-09 -0800, Jim wrote:
When I send mail to local user alice, the mail is delivered
with this From_ line:

*HOW* are you sending mail to local user alice? Using a shell mail client, a remote mail client and SMTP, or passing the message directly to sendmail? Does this happen ONLY with local user alice, or all local users? If all users, why bother telling us the username, and if only this one user, what is different about their account (check aliases and virtusertable, as well as their .forward and procmail config).

  From aaa(_at_)aaa  Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 1997

This is a common header specified in FAQs for converting pegasus mailboxes to unix mailbox format.

<http://devel-home.kde.org/~kmail/manual/importing.html>

_formail_ uses foo(_at_)bar and a correct date when it injects From_ headers when there are none - but formail isn't invoked on an LDA unless you EXPLICTLY invoke it from a procmail script.

A search of the list archives (see the procmail homepage), comes up totally dry on "aaa(_at_)aaa". While your post doesn't even appear in that search, this is only because the (presumably daily) reindex hasn't occurred -- if you search on your own email address you'll see other posts, but NOT todays, even though today's posts appear in the archive there.

You could of course fetch the source and grep away, at which time you'd discover there isn't "aaa(_at_)aaa" anywhere in it...

I suspect the local mailer, procmail, is misconfigured somehow,
but I'm not sure where to start fixing it.  The local mailer
definitions in sendmail.cf are:

Perhaps you could run yourself some tests. Procmail doesn't _add_ any headers unless explicitly instructed to.

Can anyone see anything wrong with the above sendmail.cf lines?
There's no /etc/procmailrc or /etc/mail/procmailrc file.
The mail does get delivered, but that From_ line tells me
something is not right, and I'd like to fix it.

Again, ask yourself, is it ALL mail, or just mail to this user?

[snip - wow, SENDMAIL mail queues in a procmail list. For future reference, if you're going to dump config info about your system, the version of procmail you're running would make an excellent start.]