Re: 2 Q's Re. POP.....

2002-01-09 14:50:33
At 21:23 2002-01-09 +0100, Nick Wilson did say:

Firstly, if I'm using pop (which is delivered to /var/spool/mail/nick)

Your question is too vague.

POP is a message RETRIEVAL mechanism (let's ignore the posting capability afforded by some implementations, since that really doesn't bear upon the LDA issues anyway). The message must be locally delivered to the mailbox file by your MTA before POP can access it. If you have a host account on the server for the POP user (or have procmail set up as the LDA and are performing central filtering from /etc/procmailrcs/), you can filter mail on it's way into your mail spool - it doesn't matter if you're retrieving mail from your server using a POP client on another machine (or even on the local one, provided you're fetching from the local POP, not some other host).

If you're using "fetchmail" or some other third party tool to retrieve mail from _another system_ using POP and drop it into your local mailspool, that should still "redeliver" it locally through the MTA, which should in turn invoke the LDA and handle .forward as appropriate. However, you will be downloading *ALL* the messages, *THEN* filtering them, unless you put procmail on the remote host and filter your mail on its way into the mailbox there BEFORE you use fetchail to retrieve it down to the local system.

I run Eudora Pro as a mail client and all my mail is filtered through my server. My host account also deals with retrieving mail from a handful of remote accounts and delivering it into the local user account so that it is filtered just like all my regular mail.