Re: 2 Q's Re. POP.....

2002-01-10 02:50:08
At 08:33 2002-01-10 +0100, Nick Wilson wrote:
I do not have fetchmail or anything else like that set up yet so the
'grabbing' of mail from the remote server is handled by Mutt.

i.e. you are downloading it directly from the remote server, and it never actually enters your mail spool this way. yea, for procmail to do you a lot of good, you'll want the mail injected into your local server (yea, you can manually run it on separate mail files, but I doubt that is your desire)

The question is, will a .procmailrc (don't have to use a .forward) be a
waste of time with the above setup and if so what could I do?

procmail would not be a waste of time for you if you can set up _another_ process (such as fetchmail) to retrieve your email and drop it into your local mailspool, where procmail can be (automatically, either as LDA or via .forward) executed against the messages. Your mail would be organized, rejected, or autoreplied to as the messages come in (though, with a fetchmail type mechanism instead of SMTP, that will be something you'll do on a periodic basis - either running the fether as a daemon, or running it from your crontab every 5 or 10 minutes or whatever suits you).

 Also. if a 'pop-grabber' is required, which one?

A pop grabber is a process entirely external to procmail. Find one you can understand. Fetchmail has been mentioned as used by several people here in the past (including myself, but I'm hardly an expert in it - I fetch mail from some ancillary accounts with it - I don't retreive my main mail spool that way).

Note that if you have an always-on network link, and/or a dedicated IP, and/or use a DDNS service, you could probably arrange with your ISP to merely act as as a backup MX for your domain - their server would accept the mail whenever your server isn't availble, but actually relay it along to your server when it is -- via ESMTP. Fetchmail has support for the ETRN command, which is the "tickler" to notify a server that they can relay the SMTP traffic to you.

In any event, the POP fetching stuff is separate from procmail - once you have your pop fetching working, then you can look to setting up mail filtering. If you check the list archives here, as well as the FAQs, you'll see that there is an abundance of stuff you can achieve with procmail.