Problem executing Procmail from .forward file

2002-02-02 07:41:01
We're having difficulty getting Procmail to execute from a .forward file.
Emails get returned to the sender.  A summary of the environment and error
messages are below.

The error messages suggest to me that procmail cannot be run from a .forward
file in our host's configuration yet our host continues to indicate that it
will.  Procmail runs from the command line without difficulty. Any help in
troubleshooting our configuration (or confirming that our host is MIA) would
be greatly appreciated.

Frank

ENVIRONMENT
OS - Linux-gnu
Shell - BASH
Procmail - v3.21
MTA - Sendmail
LDA - Sendmail
SMRSH - NO
General config - We are operating as a customer on a shared hosting
platform.  The hosting operator reccomends the use of Procmail (but does not
support.)  Procmail runs from the command line without difficulty.

ERROR MESSAGES IN BOUNCED EMAILS

.forward contents = "|procmail -f-"

Result -
"|procmail -f-"
    (expanded from: <-------(_at_)-----(_dot_)com>)

sh: procmail not available for sendmail programs
554 "|procmail -f-"... Service unavailable

We get the same result for similar .forward contents, e.g.
"|/usr/bin/procmail -f -"

.forward contents = "|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75
#chevalcapital"

Result -
"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #chevalcapital"
    (expanded from: <-------(_at_)-----(_dot_)com>)

sh: cannot use & in command
554 "|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit #75chevalcapital"... Service
unavailable