RE: Removing/blocking spam

2002-02-13 04:17:07
Thanks for the ideas.

For what it is worth, the clarification on the yahoo pickup is that they are
using a low speed sat phone and want to pickup yahoo mail (say). The service I
am providing picks the mail up for them and strips it down as small as
possible.  The effect is quite pronounced and can of the order of 20 secs per
email speedup (quite a lot of money at Satellite phone prices when you have 10
emails to pickup)

The Spam thoughts are helpful.  I will ignore public RBL's for the time being I
think.  I believe that SpamAssassin uses them as one of it's weighted rules,
which may be more satisfactory - will give it a whirl anyway.

I am beginining to suspect that blocking based on key domain names in the body
itself may be one answer.  "Razor" is one tool that helps with this (and with
your idea of trolling for Spam.  You can find them at
http://razor.sourceforge.net/ and it appears to be integrated into
SpamAssassin.  Basic idea is that everyone forwards their spam and they syphon
out the details of the sender/relayer, etc.  Might be worth a look

Anyway, had intended this to go to the postfix list and have just noticed that
I am on the procmail list, however, I hope that there is some interesting stuff
for everyone here anyway...

Ed Wildgoose