Re: how to keep mail from being stored

2002-02-13 02:13:17
"Jerry A. Shenk" <jshenk(_at_)decommunications(_dot_)com> writes:
I have an auto-responder set up on a mail account on my box.  Currently, all
mail that comes to echo1 gets stored.  I'd like to NOT store them and
instead respond and dump the message into the bit bucket.  How can I do
that?

As Sean Straw pointed out, the 'c' flag on the recipe is the focus of
your problem.  I wanted to comment on somethin else:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin:$HOME/bin

Unless you have a specific reason to do so, you should not override the
compiled in PATH, and even then you should probably just add the missing
directories to the beginning or end of the exists value.  Indeed, all
the directories listed above except for /sbin are in the default PATH.
I doubt you'll ever run something in /sbin from your rcfile.  Contrawise,
the default PATH _does_ include /usr/local/bin, a fairly common place
for formail to installed.

| (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" \
-A"X-Loop: echo1(_at_)my(_dot_)box" ; \
echo "Mail received on my.box.  Autoresponder located in Lancaster, PA."; \
echo | date \
tail /var/log/messages \
) | $SENDMAIL -t

Something is wrong with that action.  Unrolling it some, you're executing

        echo | date tail /var/log/message

Perhaps you meant to put a ';' instead of a '|' between the echo and date,
as well as a ';' after date?

Philip Guenther