Re: [Q] Trying to improve procmailrc by /bin/true

2002-02-14 15:34:29
Udi Mottelo <uuddii(_at_)eng(_dot_)tau(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il> writes:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Philip Guenther wrote:
     :0 ih
     * sarit
     |/bin/true

   But, but, I want to kill messages only when the string "sarit"
   is in the body.

That would be the 'B' flag.

Adding the 'h' flag to the /dev/null delivery should drop its time to
a small constant.  Or use the HOST assignment trick.  (Do you really
discard so many messages that less than a tenth of second per-discard
really matters?  You must be discarding thousands of messages!)

      There are two problems here:
      <1>  Procmail ignores the return status of the pipe! (?)

What's what the 'w' or 'W' flag is for.

      <2>  Yes, the traffic is busy and the messages are big.  I gave
      the 20M as example because we are going to limit the size of the
      messages.

So, how many messages are you discarding every day?  10,000?  (I don't
understand how you could be receiving so many message that you don't
want that how fast procmail can discard a message really matters.)

Philip Guenther