Re: Can procmail save an autoreply to an mbox file, and let me send it later?

2002-02-14 15:24:22
Stephen Patterson <s(_dot_)patterson(_at_)freeuk(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm changing my email address soon (the old one doesn't have
server-side spam filtering), and am thinking of using the following
bit of procmail code. Can I replace sendmail with an mbox name (to
send these messages by hand) and expect things to work?

Not quite.  The output of "formail -r" doesn't include a leading "From "
line, so you can't just append it to a mailbox without further processing.
Probably simplest is to the pipe the message through formail again; i.e.,
change the last line of the action from:
        | /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t
        | formail >>some_file

You'll also want to use a locallockfile when delivering to a folder like
that: change the recipe start line from
        :0 eh
        :0 eh:

BTW: instead of writing "/usr/lib/sendmail" in actions, you should use
$SENDMAIL, which is set at compile time in procmail to be the correct
path.

SUBJ_=`formail -c -xSubject: \

This is more efficiently done using extraction inside procmail:

        :0
        { SUBJ_ = $MATCH }
        :0 E
        { SUBJ_ = "<no subject give>" }