Re: Why this filter didn't work.....

2002-02-20 15:00:17

Hi Sean

Thanks for the help! I have a couple more questions:

:0 B
* softwareforyou
/dev/null

:0 B
* visosite
/dev/null

:0 B
* 9876543210^0 to opt out
* 9876543210^0 visosite
* 9876543210^0 softwareforyou
* 9876543210^0 as seen on national tv
spam

If you're going to match multiple things in the body, any of which flag it
as spam, combining them into one recipe would streamline your
processing.  Before asking "what are all those numbers for" please read
'man procmailsc'.

I read through man procmailsc (which I assume stands for scoring). I hope I
am not the only one who hasn't a clue what they are talking about in there.
I did not do well in Calculus in college. and do not understand (in the
terms man procmailsc persents them) how the numbers in that scoring system
work. Nor do I understand them as you present them in the example you
provided. If you have the time, could you try to explain it (briefly) in
simpler terms, otherwise I'll take your word for it that it works.  :)

All of the rules you posted which were based on headers are missing the
BOL
(Beginning Of Line) anchor, ^ :

:0
* From:(_dot_)*(_at_)sexyfun\(_dot_)net
/dev/null

Should be
* ^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)sexyfun\(_dot_)net

So the way I had it there would make it match on any occurrence of "
@sexyfun.net" in the From line, but with the ^ it makes it start looking at
the beginning of the line (I assume).....

(I honestly have read through the man procmail<x> files, and have done so
many times. I know I'm not an expert, but some (most) of them are very
cryptic. I've gone through google to look for better examples, along with
explanations, and have had better luck there than with the man pages. I
just figured they (the man pages) were designed with someone who wasn't a
beginner <like me> in mind, and as such, I've had to look elsewhere for
help.) There is a lady named "Nancy" (her last name escapes me at this
moment) who also has a good example page.

I have a concern that I may be doing something wrong,

First thing is that you shouldn't simply be dumping things to /dev/null
unless you're ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE of what you're doing.  If you have ANY
concerns, that should be the first thing you change.  It seems weird that
you'd filing _some_ things to a spam mailbox, and others to /dev/null.

When I had them all directed to a spam mailbox, I was getting close to 100
MB of spam per day into the box. In checking it (an arduous task) I never
found anything wasn't spam. Still, I have tried as best I can to send the
most-likely spam to /dev/null, and keep anything questionable in the spam
box. I realize it's not a perfect system, but I try to do the best I can.
My customers understand that there is a chance something that is not spam
may be trashed, but none of them have complained, and many have expressed
gratitude over not receiving all that crap mail. (Why did the "spam" box
show up in var/spool/mqueue?... I assume there is a variable I didn't set
correctly somewhere).

Having said that, I would still like to do the best I can to not remove
good mail. It's a difficult line upon which to balance. I also am grateful
to you for taking what must be a lot of your time in helping people on this
list.

Thanks again Sean