Re: Looping problem

2002-02-26 20:52:29
Fred Morris wrote,

| I autoreply to Bccs and to people who send to a particular address I use
| for posting where I fully expect the bottom feeders to pick it up. All
| they have to do is *not* BCC me for cryin' out loud in case 1, or in case
| 2 responsd with the keyword from the autoresponse on the subject line.

That's a universe or maybe two away from doing it for every single incoming
message.  You do it only for mail that, for additional reasons besides
coming from an unexpected source, is likely to be spam.

If I see your post to a mailing list or a newsgroup, and you supplied a
your post that the address is a spamtrap, so a respondent should please
include [keyword] in the subject or write to [other address] -- I can answer
you privately without getting your autoresponder.  If you've joined a
mailing list that I run and I need to contact you off-list about an
administrative matter, I can write to you and not be blocked.

I agree with everything Sean Straw has said against these setups and have
said many of the same things about them myself, but what you're doing is
very different.