Re: Sophos interaction with procmail

2002-02-27 02:43:26
On Tuesday, 26.02.2002 at 14:51 -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:

  I am tasked with getting a virus filter going on our mail server (which
runs AIX 4.3.3 * sendmail 8.9.3 & procmail).  We have been looking at
Sophos, their Sophos Anit-Virus Engine and MailMonitor for SMTP.
= Does anyone out there have experience with them and procmail.
= Are there known problems/weird interactions/things-to-watch-out-for in
their interactions?
= Are there 'best ways' to put them together?

For what it's worth, you might be interested in the way we do things.
On the email server, a copy of AMaViS is installed - this is a generic
email scanner that makes use of an external anti-virus engine (i.e.
Sophos running under Linux) but handles all the unbundling of MIME,
compressed attachments etc.  The messages are virus-scanned before they
get passed over to Procmail as the local delivery agent, so there is no
problem with any interaction.

Take a look at http://www.amavis.org/ for more details.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart
Dave(_dot_)Ewart(_at_)cancer(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk