Re: EGREP

2002-03-22 18:12:23
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 05:59:13PM -0700, Scott Palmer wrote:
When I enable the filter system on all accounts, currently we are only
running it on about 6,000, the load sky rockets to around 90 on a Sun 420,
normally it sits around 8..

Write a small perl script and use that. In one instance I've had a grep
take 5 mins or so and perl take a few seconds.

Grep is general purpose and you can make your perl very specific to your
task, optimising where you can as you know exactly what's going in and
what's to come out and where to stop searching etc.

--
SOCCER PLAYER IN GENITAL-BITING SCANDAL  ---  "It was something between
friends that I thought would have no importance until this morning when