Re: EGREP

2002-03-22 18:19:25
look(1) does a binary lookup. So, if exact, or partial key matches
are adaquate, (i.e., no regex):

    sort -u unorderedlist > orderedlist

and:

    look emailaddress orderedlist

is quite a savings in machine resources.

Just a way ...

        John

Scott Palmer writes:

Currently we are using egrep to search a file which contains a list of
email address. Is there something more efficient than this. We have about
18,000 email accounts and bring in about 130k messages per day.

There are two primary files: one has 82 lines and the other has 24..

When I enable the filter system on all accounts, currently we are only
running it on about 6,000, the load sky rockets to around 90 on a Sun 420,
normally it sits around 8..

When running a top all you would seem to see is egrep's out the wazoo..

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, also thanks to all the
answers I was given on the Egrep question. I just wish I knew ahead of
time that it would slam the machine.

--

John Conover, conover(_at_)rahul(_dot_)net, http://www.johncon.com/