Re: matching multiple lines

2002-04-12 10:42:07
Don Hammond wrote,

| A quick test indicates the
| parentheses are not needed to "protect" the \> or \< tokens when
| followed by a + modifier. Is that correct, and are the parentheses
| syntactic sugar, or have I missed something?

I don't know what you mean by "syntactic sugar" and hesitate to respond based
on a guess.  If the parentheses are unnecessary, I'd still use them (1) in my
own rcfiles to bring it to my own attention that \< or \> is an atom and to
keep myself from making some sort of editing error that would separate the
backslash from the chevron and (2) in a post here to make what I'm doing
clearer to readers, though I should add something about the parentheses'
being optional when I do that.

For similar reasons, if a regexp ends in a trailing space, I write it as

 * restofregexp ()

or

 * restofregexp( )

even though procmail would operate identically if I omitted the parentheses.