RE: How to convert to 8 bit mime format

2002-04-15 11:07:28
Thanks for the thoughts.  I was trying to be brief, but obviously failed to
give enough details.

I am aware that sendmail does 7 to 8 bit conversion, hence my statement that I
am using procmail not sendmail.  The mention of procmail was there to indicate
that my complete setup is Procmail as LDA + Postfix as MTA.  All clear so far?

Also I am quite clear that Procmail does not "Do" a lot, certainly not complex
extraction of attachments (wouldn't it be nice if it did though...), so I
wasn't expecting to find an undocumented option to do this.  The mention of
"programs available to pipe through" and reference to mimencode was supposed to
indicate that I am looking for an external program.

Also I am only intending to use this option as the last step, ie during
delivery to mailboxes, hence I think Procmail is a valid solution, and the MDA
writers could easily argue that this is an LDA job rather than an MTA job...
(Although I would probably be with you that this should be an MTA task)

Perhaps someone with experience of this knows if there is such a beast around?
At worst case I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the conversion code
from Sendmail and convert to an external program.... Probably hideous...

Clients are not known, but does anyone know of any "popular" mail clients that
don't support 8 bit attachments?  As in mail clients that actually support
attachments.  Is it safe to assume that Pine, Mutt, etc on the unix side are 8
bit clean?  I believe that Outlook, Eudora & Netscape are 8 bit capable.

Thanks for any pointers

Ed W