Re: filtering spam with chinese Subject (2)

2002-04-16 23:11:34
in message
<200204170354(_dot_)NAA02571(_at_)dvalin(_dot_)dd(_dot_)nec(_dot_)com(_dot_)au>,
wrote erik(_at_)dd(_dot_)nec(_dot_)com(_dot_)au thusly...

Johannes> I tried to filter spam with chinese characters in the Subject:

 Also having trouble with the unusual characters, I just look for:

(ks_c_5601-1987|charset="?euc-kr)

 in the header or body.

a data point...

i found that, for me, checking for a particular charset in header is
not reliable enough.  yes, that did some cases, but the majority of
the message bodies were in english, sent by "good people" to various
freebsd mailing lists.

otoh, counting number of question marks in message body will surely
catch the unreadable/bad messages, i suppose ...  or, perhaps not if
the question marks show the inability of xterm and/or reading
program to render non-english characters correctly.

 - parv