Re: procdiag.sh

2002-04-23 01:40:40
At 20:53 2002-04-22 -0600, Steve Pershall did say:
Hi I downloaded the procdiag.sh file  and I am not shure how to execute it
could some one point me in the right direction please

I quote from the original message which you provided in it's entirety back to to the list:

How about you start by retrieving, reviewing, then executing the script
found at:

<http://www.professional.org/procmail/procdiag.sh>

"Reviewing" would imply at a minimum, a brief glance at the beginning of the script, where not unsurprisingly, you'd find the following text:

#!/bin/sh
#
# procdiag.sh - a quick procmail diagnostic
#
# Usage: the script takes no arguments and simply emits all collected
# results to STDOUT.  If you need explanation of how to pipe it to a pager
# or redirect it to a file to provide to someone else, please learn some
# basic UNIX before attempting to use procmail.  Before diving into procmail,
# you should gain a fundamental understanding of unix - shell operations, how
# to check/set file permissions, etc.
#
# If you run a non-compliant shell, you may find this script is executed
# more reliably if you manually run it under a shell:
#               sh ./procdiag.sh
# rather than assuming that your shell will obey the shellcmd definition at
# the top of this script.
#
# The procmail list IS NOT an intro to UNIX discussion list, so basic
# questions about UNIX are inappropriate there.
#
# This script relies on other tools in your system, primarily a working perl
# (which it uses in an attempt to be much less reliant on less standard
# versions of other tools).
#
[snip]

Please review the above. Then, consider reviewing the script itself - you're running a script you downloaded from someplace else, and it'd be a responsible thing to do to examine it to ensure that there's nothing fuddy going on.