Re: odd procmail results

2002-04-26 11:55:06
At 09:33 2002-04-26 -0400, Rob Dege did say:
some odd results when using my procmail rules.  So I was hoping that someone
could explain something to me.  One of my procmail rules was matching
strings in the Subject line that had no relation to the strings it was
compared to (regex wise).

On the contrary - procmail was interpreting the regexp you provided it just as it should have. You should read the response on that separate thread, which since it is basically the same query as you're NOW posting about, you should probably just keep it on the one thread, instead of giving us a moving target.

Basically, procmail does what you tell it to do, not what you THINK you told it to do.

I then broke up the rules into smaller rules to try and identify the bad
string causing valid emails to get dumped.  This created some odd results.
All of a sudden, only half of the emails were tagged as matches.

I'd work at fixing the underlying problem as already described to you.