Re: Replies are not processed properly. (follow up)

2002-04-30 11:51:44
At 11:52 2002-04-30 -0400, Humberto Rodriguez did say:

He is right I think, when he states that the problem is
mainly from Outlook but alas, I cannot afford to write
software which will not work with Outlook.

Uh, it's Outlook that doesn't want to work with your software, not the other way around. Outlook pulls the same BS on standard majordomo lists for instance - it claims the From: as the listowner (envelope sender) address, not as the actual From: or even the Reply-To:. This is wrong, and it's a bug in Outlook. Depending on which version of Outlook a user is using, their replies might go to the list, or they might go to the author of the message, or they might go to the list owner. All on the SAME list, which works fine with all the other MUAs out there. No, I don't have a list of which versions are broken in which ways - I avoid Outlook because of it's security problems and because of the general experience with it not conforming to RFCs.

Your one workaround might be to forge the envelope sender ('-f someaddr' to sendmail), but that isn't acceptable - BOUNCES generated by your resending of the message would end up going to the original author (who sent one copy, not 400, and probably shouldn't know the email addresses of "lurkers", etc). They belong going to the listowner (who is in a position to remove the problem addresses), which is why lists usually set a owner-listname alias as the envelope sender (versus even the listname itself, which would cause bounced to come to the list submission address, which is ugly enough when some non-compliant MTA decides to do it that way, or sends bounces to the From: address).

It was obvious that the problem was within the headers, for
the original message worked without a hitch

The original message being from the original author you mean? If so, that's because the envelope sender on the original message would typically be the same as the From:

It appeared that your script was setting a Reply-To: (though OutBreak was likely mucking with it on your posted "headers"), which is the RFC-appropriate way of defining where replies should be sent.

address as a vlid sender, i.e. the "From:" header contained
the list address neighbors(_at_)arlenbeach(_dot_)com instead of the
sender's mailing address.  This way it works with replies.

Huh? Outlook replies shouldn't be composing them as if they're from someplace else, unless they've got yet another MS-ism.

for convenience, however.  It is easier to edit by clicking
on it, it opens it in the default text editor, when I am

Uhm, why not associate .pl with the same editor?