Re: could this message be bypassing procmail?

2002-05-03 09:43:35
At 16:40 2002-05-01 -0500, hans anderson did say:
for some reason it always delivers messages from smtp.experience.com to my default maildir, apparently no matter what i do with my recipies.

And your VERBOSE procmail log says what? Set VERBOSE=ON in .procmailrc, then take the individual message (stored in a file OTHER than your maildir) and pipe it back into procmail:

        procmail -s .procmailrc < messagefile

(or, you could replicate the arguments from the MTA invocation, if procmail is being run as your LDA, but that is likely unnecessary unless you've got some code that expects arguments).

Do that, and examine the verbosely logged actions of procmail (if you get much mail or have a LOT of processing, you probably want to run the test then immediatley comment out the VERBOSE=ON line from the .procmailrc).

This spam might be somehow affiliated with the carreer center at my
school.  Is there a possibility that they're somehow coming through the
mail delivery system in a different way from most mail,

If your mail server is mounted via NFS to another system that delivers to the mailbox, that's a possibility - of course the headers should provide you with a clue if you're aware what your own mail server's name is.

:0:
* ^Received:.*from.*smtp\.experience\.com
$SPAMFOLDER

Q: is this the FIRST recipe, or perhaps you have some other recipe that delivers it before it even has an opportunity to reach this one?