Re: procmail dead ??

2002-05-21 09:38:08
At 04:38 2002-05-21 +0200, sjaak nabuurs did say:

No way procmail seems to live.

At shell, run:

        procmail -v

Does the user which you are invoking procmail through a .forward for actually have a SHELL ? If not, you should be sure to define it in the .procmailrc.

What to do and what to check.

Have you considered examining the system logfiles? Your MTA may be emitting errors there...

After doing that, see my disclaimer, retrieve the procmail diagnostic script, run it, evaluate what it reports.

I read many howto's

I read the newspaper yesterday. Since there isn't an official procmail HOWTO, I don't see how this would matter how many HOWTOs you've read.

Linux rh7.2 sendmail all standard install

Lucky you. Keep in mind that "standard install" is rather distro and version specific - this list is about procmail, not RH7.2, so familiarity with what RH calls "standard" is going to be iffy.

I have 4 servers more running without any problem.

Running configs using procmail, or just running?

The .forward will give's an permission error if I like.

Would you like to share the details of this permission error and the actual perms of the file? I prefer to reserve use of my telepathic powers for big stakes at the blackjack table.

But the procmailrc file seems dead

If you're invoking procmail via a .forward, and there's a permission error on the .forward, how is it that you expect procmail will actually be invoked?

BTW, it's DOT-procmailrc: .procmailrc - if you're omitting the dot in the filename, that in itself would cause procmail to not do anything...

I like to run it with spamassassin like on the other servers. rh 6.1 rh 7.1
and 7.2

This implies that procmail IS running on the other servers. Is it the LDA, or is it being invoked via .forwards as well?

Procmail is in the path copy the sendmail.mc files from other servers chmod
every possible way but nothing.

FTR, sendmail.mc isn't the sendmail config file, it's a renamed version of the M4 script from which the .cf file can be generated. If you haven't regenerated the .cf, then simply copying the .mc files isn't going to do a thing for you.

I've got to wonder why you're tinkering with the sendmail config if you're using a .forward to invoke procmail in the first place.