Stuck Procmail processes

2002-05-22 00:18:22
Hi

Can any one tell me what is going on?

The Setting:
I have a 7000 member mail list running on an Ultra1 - Solaris8.  The server
shares a low to moderately busy website.  The list is closed to foreign
submit and no archiving.  Several other mail list where I work are
experiencing the same problem.  It appears that what we have in common is
that they upgraded from Solaris5 to Solaris7 and I upgraded from Solaris 6
to 8

The Problem:
When a mailing is sent to mylist, the mylist directory fills with about a
hundred +  _vaB+Y7S58.myserver.mydomain.com files.  These file appear to be
either empty or they contain a ?0?.  Several hundred processes are spawned
and a tmp.lock file is created in the mylist directory.  Occasionally it
appears that the tmp.lock, can not be removed by procmail (from the log).  I
have deleted the tmp.lock file and rebooted to clear abandon smartlist
processes.   The tmp.lock is immediately recreated and I am back to the same
state.  It appears that the mailing to the list went out but the bounced
messages which can be several hundred are still being processed.  (No mail
loop)  An ls -l indicates that the tmp.lock is being released and within
seconds replaced and some mail is being processed but very slooowly!

I removed about the first 20 _vaB+Y7S58.myserver.mydomain.com files from the
mylist directory and the tmp.lock was removed and the stuck processes
disappeared.

Now there are about 60  _vaB+Y7S58.myserver.mydomain.com files in the mylist
directory and 1 procmail (smartlist) process.  It would seem that one of the
_vaB+Y7S58.myserver.mydomain.com files was gumming up the works.

Any ideas as to what is going on and how to prevent it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Monte